Wednesday, 30 December 2015

😱😱😱 URGENT NO LIBRARY THIS SATURDAY😱😱😱

Sorry but we have just found out the Library of Birmingham is closed until January 4. There will therefore be no 'Come Stitch with Us' this week.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Notices December meeting



Note - January Library date is Saturday 2nd not as shown on notes distributed at the meeting.

Embroiderers’ Guild Birmingham Branch: Meeting Notices December 20 15



Welcome to our Christmas Party we hope you enjoy the goodies and the chance to sit and stitch together. We also have our Competition. Voting will take place later when we are stitching, but please have a look beforehand and begin to think about your choice. When we vote place a coin in the saucer in front of your chosen piece (the value of the coin makes no difference). Thank you to everyone who has entered. Make sure you get your copy of Branchline and thank you to Marion for pulling this together.
Cocomad we have agreed in the committee that we should sustain our presence here and hope to liaise with Weavers and Spinners and have a space together on reasonably simple basis with a bit less intensive hard work from some of us. Tonight there are Christmas cardsmade by you for the festival last year and some other little goodies that were left over, you may find a children’s stocking filler so please have a look. Proceeds all to Branch funds.
As we mentioned in the last notices we are very aware of the significance of the current national consultation. The committee has discussed this and our shared view is summarisedand has been circulated. We will start tonight’s meeting with a chance for questions / discussion and don’t forget to send back your own response to the Guild.
Clare continues to be our link person for the Capability Brown Project. Our branches exhibition time at Charlecote will start on 10th August and go on till 31st October. If you hurry you can get free entrance with your membership card before 31st December. We would like to get 25 pieces together, including the YE group.
Clare and Anne Thrumpston from Solihull worked very hard to ensure that we had a presence at Makit and Lacit Exhibition in Solihull on the weekend of 5th DecemberI did a shift and it was a really positive event with lots of our leaflets being taken away.
Please complete the questionnaire about travelling books and leave it with us tonight. We will restart in the New Year at the January meeting, based on your feedback. Several of the books were displayed at the Makit exhibition to great acclaim.
Don’t forget to give information to Meriel about potential car sharing for meetings.
Washboard Health Group. This has been very successful, a huge thankyou to everyone who helped Anne Watts, June Parkinson, Liz Fossey, Janet Molloy and Anne Haigh who organised it all. We hope that it may be possible to display something at the Regional Day.
Young Embroiderers:- belatedly we want to record officially our thanks to Louise Burns for her hard work creativity and commitment. We heard from her replacement as leader Ruth at the AGM and we are very grateful for her willingness to take this on and to Janet for her ongoing commitment. We have been discussing YE in committee and have nominated Anne Haigh to be a formal link person. We also for the future would like to establish something for young people based in Birmingham itself as well as the existing group. If you have an interest in working with young people or good ideas please speak to Anne or me. We are also now collecting names and contact details of children and parents who have come to the Library. 
The decision the committee had made on selling items at the meetings had had unexpected consequences. The level of selling and the items for sale was too much and left no space to promote the Guild and our activities. We must have that space to support the charitable aims and status of the guild, and while selling of kits for members to try something different supports the educational aim, other selling conflicts with the charitable status of the Guild and with the ethos of the Quakers, whose venue we use. Therefore the committee are defining items for sale as items you can’t get elsewhere - e.g. kits, finished pieces of work, and items made by members being sold on behalf of recognised charities.
On the subject of the Library don’t forget January the 2nd the perfect way to chase away New Year blues. The January meeting is a members meeting and will give us a chance to look at everyone’s travelling books, so please bring yours with you. We will also bring works in progress for the tactile books for all to see and there will be a further opportunity to get involved in making your own if you would like to.
Thank you to for your continuing support for the raffle. January’s colour is red.
Once again a very happy Christmas thank you for being part of the branch and continuing to support us enjoy the festive treats. Bernadette Wilkinson on behalf of the committee.


Sunday, 20 December 2015

December meeting

We had a busy meeting with lots of cakes, mince pies and mulled wine to get us in the festive spirit.

There was the competition 'Put a button on it'.  All of the entries were excellent as ever and the voting saucers quickly filled with coins; the cup was won by Janet Lee. 


The gold raffle bags were a great hit and were extra special as it was Christmas, members being as ever generous with items to fill the bags.  Don't forget to see Lorna for your chance to decorate a bag.


It was an activity evening and we set to work creating tags for goody bags at Regional day.  We had some finished items on the night with many more to come, please bring them along in January, and if you want to keep busy over the holiday please continue and make more they will all be gratefully received. 










We will be back at the Library on January 2nd and our next branch meeting is Monday 11th when we will have a red raffle bag.

Thursday, 10 December 2015

December Branch Meeting - Christmas party and Tag making

Who can believe it is time for our Christmas party again!
As always the committee will provide mince pies and other goodies to eat and some mulled apple juice.

To keep us busy we will have the competition and our tag activity.


December Competition

'Put a Button on it" please interpret that as liberally as you want and just join in - it is great to see a range of work.
Remember the competition is open to all members and we will vote on the night, a single coin of any value will count as one vote (a twenty pence coin will count the same as a 1 penny) and the coins all go to swell branch funds.  Entries will close at 7.30 pm and voting will not take place until all of the entries are in.


Activity

We will be making tags to be attached to goodie bags at the regional event we are organising so that should be fun and may suggest ideas for your own tags over Christmas. Please bring a standard sewing kit, with needles, scissors, and if you want to some small pieces of fabric and toning threads; more instructions will be given on the night. We are only crating the embellishments on the night you do not need to bring the tags, these will be attached later.
The tags will be approx 2.5x3.5 inches so only small amounts of fabric, trim etc. are needed.

Meriel has been busy creating samples - here are a few.

Don't forget the raffle - this months theme is Gold so do bring along a contribution.

If you're new to the Guild, visitors are welcome, and the first session is free, with a charge of £4 thereafter. Please see here for details of where we meet. See you there!

Saturday, 5 December 2015

December Meeting - Monday 14 December

A couple of reminders ahead of the meeting:

December Competition

'Put a Button on it'. Remember the competition is open to all members and we will vote on the night, A single coin of any value will count as one vote and the coins all go to swell branch funds.  Voting will not take place until all entries are in and entries will close at 7.30pm


Branch Activity

We will be making tags to be attached to goodie bags at the regional event we are organising so that should be fun and may suggest ideas for your own tags over Christmas. Please bring a standard sewing kit, with needles, scissors, and if you want to some small pieces of fabric and toning threads; more instructions will be given on the night.
The tags will be parcel tag size so only small amounts of fabric, trim etc. are needed.


Thursday, 3 December 2015

December at the Library Saturday 5th

It's library time again and we  are in our normal spot on the Mezzanine floor above the library cafe from 11 am until about 2 pm (don't forget the library does not open until 11 am although the cafe is open downstairs from 9am).  Everyone is welcome to join us to bring any stitching projects you are working on whether you need a bit of help or encouragement or just want to join in the social event and carry on with your project. We will have felt, binca and other activities for both adults and children. How about bringing a Christmas project to stitch or Branch members might want to work on the December competition piece 'Put a button on it'


?

Friday, 27 November 2015

2016 Inkberrow Worksops

Do you fancy a workshop to get the new year creative juices flowing? Have a look below and contact directly if you are interested.


Friday, 20 November 2015

Stitch Magazine new price

We all love receiving our Stitch magazine with the exciting projects and articles. 
If you want to be sure of your copy you can place your order through the branch by paying your subscription to  Anne Haigh.  The annual amount is now £26.40 (previously £25.50).

Monday, 16 November 2015

Reminder: Landscapes of the Imagination Requirements List

Just a reminder that the requirements list for the Landscapes of the Imagination Dayschool on the 28th of November is:

Landscapes of Imagination           Sarah Burgess

Requirements for students – 

 

I will bring a range of papers, interfacings, fabric and print media for you to use for a fee of not more than£5 but it helps the individuality and independence of your work if you can bring some of the following personal materials and sources.

 

• Personal landscape imagery to use as inspiration NOT COPYING – postcards / photos / magazine images / your own sketches / ariel views etc.

We may also use the view from the studio windows (if helpful!)

• Notebook / sketchbook
• Personal text / words – whatever appeals – egphotocopies of poems / songs / tickets / music script / old maps to cut up etc. (please do not photocopy maps!)
• Pin up board – cork board / foam board - 1 x A2 if you have one.
• Scraps and pieces of lightweight papers (whatever you have) handmade / coloured / tissues / newsprint etc.
• Usual art kit to include, black pen, biros, few paint brushes craft knife, paper scissors etc.
• PVA / glue stick /masking tape
• Rubber print rollers -  if you have them
• Latex gloves/ apron / overall (if you prefer to wear one)
• Wet wipes or j cloth
• Cutting mat
• Medium weight calico or similar approx. ½ -1m.
• Pieces and odd scraps of smooth lightweight fabric –recycled / cotton lawn / organdie etc.  – whatever you already have.
• Small selection of scraps and snippets of bright coloured fabrics / lace / prints – snippets selvedges / frayed bits etc.
• Sewing kit, fabric scissors, needles, pins,
• Small selection sewing threads, machine and finer hand threads / stranded.
• Any items you are particularly working with at the moment, e.g. small found items/ beads 
• Plastic sheet to cover your table. Newspaper.

 

          Best wishes Sarah

 

 

 

Thursday, 12 November 2015

Notices November

Embroiderers’ Guild Birmingham Branch: Meeting Notices November 15

 

Welcome to tonight’s meeting I am so jealous that I will be missing Pat Trott a real treat of a speaker.

We have had a very positive response to membership renewal thank you to all of you.Please see Anne Haigh or Jeanette if you have yet to renew your membership it is never too late!

The committee are increasingly aware of the significance of the current nationalconsultation. Please read the proposals we have all been sent, your individual response is really important. We realise that for some, perhaps particularly newer members it may be quite hard to get your head around the implications. Other members will have clear views already formulated. As you know the committee will discuss this when we meet on 23rd November. Prior to the committee discussion if you have thoughts or queries you want to share with us in order to inform our discussions please contact Bernadette, Clare or Anne by email or if that isn’t possible by telephone. That will help our discussions be as helpful as they can be, we will feedback at the Christmas meeting. As this is an activity evening rather than a speaker we can allow some time for discussion in Branch if needed. It is however also our Christmas Party, so we will make sure we allow time for fun stitching and relaxing together.

Clare continues to be our link person for the Capability Brown Project. Our branches exhibition time at Charlecote will start on 10th August and go on till 26th or 31st October. We would like to get 25 pieces together including the YE group.

Clare is also coordinating the Makit and Lacit Exhibition in Solihull the weekend on 5th DecemberSee her if you can volunteers to steward or to set up on the Friday afternoon and give her any pieces you have brought tonight. Please make sure you have labelled your pieces carefully with your name and contact details and packagedthem in a way that you are sure will allow their safe transport. Make sure both the packaging and the piece are labelled so they can be reunited at the end. The fair is held at Cranmore Park, Cranmore Avenue, Shirley, Solihull B90 4LE. There is a web site for the venue and for the Makit Fairs. Tickets are £7.50 but if you order in advance and buy two tickets, they are £6.50 there is free parking.

The travelling books cycle is coming to an end and we will organise some feedback at the next committee meeting before we restart in the New Year

Don’t forget to give information to Meriel about potential car sharing for meetings.

Washwood Health Group – The hanging is taking shape with the group and we have 3 more weeks to finish it. Thank you to June, Janet, Anne Watts and Liz for coming along to the sessions.  

Tina Francis has let us know that she is having not one but two articles in the next Stitch – makes us very proud to have her in the branch she will be bringing reduced price kits to Branch Meetings if you are interested in buying one.

Thank you to our tea and coffee makers tonight and thank you for your continuing support for the raffle. December’s colour is gold.

The next meeting is our Christmas party we will be making tags to be attached to goodie bags at the regional event we are organising so that should be fun and may suggest ideas for your own tags over Christmas. Please bring a standard sewing kit, with needles, scissors, and if you want to some small pieces of fabric and toning threads; more instructions will be given on the night. As always the committee will provide mince pies and other goodies to eat and some mulled apple juice. We will also have our Competition the theme is “Put A Button On It” please interpret that as liberally as you want and just join in it is great to see a range of work.

Thank you very much to Heather for standing in tonight hope you have a fantastic time Bernadette Wilkinson on behalf of the committee.

Thursday, 5 November 2015

November 7 at the Library of Birmingham

It's library time again and we  are in our normal spot on the Mezzanine floor above the library cafe from 11 am until about 2 pm (don't forget the library does not open until 11 am although the cafe is open downstairs from 9am).  Everyone is welcome to join us to bring any stitching projects you are working on whether you need a bit of help or encouragement or just want to join in the social event and carry on with your project. We will have felt, binca and other activities for both adults and children.

In October the Alice in Wonderland theme continued to be popular and there are new projects 'in hand'.





Tuesday, 3 November 2015

November Branch Meeting - Mountmellick Embroidery with Pat Trott

At this month's branch meeting (on Monday 9th November) we are looking forward to welcoming Pat Trott, who will be sharing her love for hand embroidery, particularly Mountmellick, with us.

Mountmellick embroidery by Pat Trott
Pat is a very talented embroiderer, who wrote the book on Mountmellick embroidery, and will be leading a day-school on the technique on Saturday 26 March 2016, so we hope that this month's meeting piques your interest. You can see Margaret to sign up for the day school.

This months raffle bag is silver, do please bring along a little something to add to the prizes.


If you're new to the Guild, visitors are welcome, and the first session is free, with a charge of £4 thereafter. Please see here for details of where we meet. See you there!

Thursday, 15 October 2015

October Meeting Notices

Embroiderers’ Guild Birmingham Branch: Meeting Notices October 15



Welcome to a busy evening; our AGM to begin the evening and then a talk from Bren Broadman, who will be sharing some of her wonderful work.
As you know it is membership renewal time. Please see Anne Haigh or Jeanette if you have yet to renew your membership – I only got around to doing it a couple of days ago, but am now safely re-joined and looking forward to a full and exciting year. A thank you on behalf of all of us to all of the committee for their hard work last year.
Some of us went to the regional AGM and had a good day with great soup! You should have received information from the National Guild by email with important documents about the future structures of the guild and the national consultation. Please read them carefully and think about your reply. It is your personal view they are looking for but the committee will discuss this when we meet on 23rd November and will feedback any useful information and reflections by the Christmas meeting.
Clare continues to be our link person for the Capability Brown Project which is progressing. We had some feedback at the regional AGM. If you would like to participate please start thinking about the subject and what you might like to do and let Clare know. There is another meeting of the planning group at the end of the month, so Clare should have clear instructions by the next meeting. There is some further information and some photographs on the blog and if you are able to visit Charlecote Park don’t forget it is free entry with your guild membership card till the end of the year.
We also have a chance to exhibit some of our own work at the Makit and Lacit Exhibition in Solihull the weekend on 5th December pieces can be hung or free standing. We need 3 volunteers to steward and volunteers to set up on the Friday afternoon. We need around 8 pieces of work to be brought to the November meeting and maybe some travelling books. Again Clare is liaising (what would we do without her) so have a word with her if you need further information. It would be helpful if you could let her know tonight if you have a piece you would like to include. Please label your pieces carefully with your name and contact details and package them in a way that you are sure will allow their safe transport. Make sure both the packaging and the piece are labelled so they can be reunited at the end. Clare will be organising volunteer names at the November branch meeting. The fair is held at Cranmore Park, Cranmore Avenue, Shirley, Solihull B90 4LE. There is a web site for the venue and for the Makit Fairs. Tickets are £7.50 but if you order in advance and buy two tickets, they are £6.50 there is free parking.
The travelling books are continuing to be a great success and we hope you are all enjoying participating. A reminder that if you have any anxieties about the process or about how to include your piece in the book securely have a word with Heather or another committee member. At the end of this cycle we will be reviewing how things have gone and will ask for your feedback then in the meantime we hope you keep on enjoying the project.
We are aware that car parking is an issue. There isn’t an easy answer but we would encourage you to park as best you can but be ready to move your car quickly at the end of the meeting if you are blocking anyone in. We also want to encourage as much car sharing as we can and Meriel is going to organise a car pool so that individuals can be put in touch with others in their area who might want to travel with them.
Clare, Betty and Elizabeth, building on their wonderful work for the Staffordshire Hoard Exhibition, are planning something based on that for a meeting next year. Watch this space! It should be a great opportunity and particularly useful for anyone inexperienced with hand stitching.
Washboard Health Group. The first meeting went well as we explored ideas on how to bring the work together into a hanging with Qulsom and her research assistant, Jo. There were only 2 women attending the group, however Qulsom is going to various things on Friday to encourage others to come back or to join the group. The idea is to dye some curtain lining, print it with motifs/designs created by the group and then to apply their existing work to the background, using stitch to add detail to some of the existing work as well as a means of attaching to the background. Thank you to June and Liz who attended the first meeting and brought some great ideas to the morning. We have a plan for the next meeting, and then we’ll see where that leads to. There may be a chance for more to get involved one Saturday as they are thinking of running a community day to have people add stitch to the back ground. I’ll let people know if that is arranged so they can drop in if they want to.
We have been lucky enough to be able to buy Angie Atwoods’ wonderful kits and a discount at meetings. We would like to extend this possibility to any branch members who would like to sell their work. If they are commercial pieces like Angie’s we would ask for a members discount; there is no charge for selling at the meeting. If you want to sell pieces for charity there is no charge and no expectation of a discount. We will have a space in the lobby set aside and will see how it goes for the next few months
As you know some of us were lucky enough to go to Westhope in September and had a wonderful time. We have booked again in two years’ time. The weekend of 8th to 10th September 2017. More details nearer the time.
Thank you to our tea and coffee makers tonight and thank you for your continuing support for the raffle. Novembers colour is Silver and the November meeting is a wonderful opportunity to hear Pat Trott talk about Mountmellick work. I sadly can’t make that meeting I am very disappointed, but work has got in the way. Heather will be standing in and I hope you have a wonderful evening.
Bernadette Wilkinson on behalf of the committee.







Wednesday, 14 October 2015

October Meeting ; AGM and Bren Boardman

Agm - 44 attended:

The chairs report is on the blog to read in full.
Last years minutes were proposed and seconded.
3 officers  Bernadette, Anne and Clare were re-elected 
New Young Embroiderers' leader Ruth Dugdale reported on the YE activities.  A request was made for any suitable project ideas taking around 2 and a half hours these can be passed to Ruth or Janet Lee.
Anne Haigh gave the Treasurers report which was proposed and seconded.
Janette Hunter was proposed and seconded as a new committee member and the present committee was re-elected unopposed. 


Branch Meeting:
The Meeting notices are on the blog.
If anyone has articles or other input for Branchline  please forward to Marion email to birminghamembroiderersguild@gmail.com o rbring them along next month the newsletter can then be produced for our December meeting.             June Parkinson told us about an exhibition by Sutton Coldfield Creative Stitcher's for more information see www.suttoncoldfieldcreativestitchers.co.uk
If you are planning a piece for the Capability Brown project or would like to be part of a group visit please contact Clare.
Car parking is sometimes an issue so we are looking to encourage car sharing. There is a map which will be in the foyer again next meeting where you can flag your address to offer or request a lift.

Bren Boardman:



Bren was our speaker. She told us about her work and processes from inspiration boards













and sketch books
Through to some of her complete projects. 

This months raffle was bronze and members have again risen to the occasion with a lovely selection of items for the designer bags which will hopefully save many a 5p!



The next Meeting is on Monday November 9th.  Our Speaker is Pat Trott and the raffle is silver
Mountmellick embroidery by Pat Trott




Tuesday, 13 October 2015

Birmingham Branch Embroiderers’ Guild: Chairs Report 2015

Birmingham Branch has had another very successful year and again this is due to the hard work of the committee and the enthusiasm of branch members. Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement. We have continued to grow and we see attracting new members and sharing enthusiasm for stitch, as an important part of our work. Our times at the Library on the first Saturday of the month make an important contribution to that. There have been significant national developments this year and we were pleased to exhibit some pieces at the national meeting held in Birmingham this year and supported the result of the vote. More important consultation is about to begin; please say what you think and help the guild develop in the best direction.
We have enjoyed a stimulating programme of workshops and meetings. This year’s A Tale of Two Members featured Meriel Hutton and Janet Lee who had varied stories and allowed us to share their wonderful work. We had a talk about colouring fabrics from Edwina MacKinnon and heard about the history of buttons from Jennifer Swindells and our Christmas competition this year is inspired by that. We have had member’s sessions including one on canvas work and have also used those sessions to kick start new initiatives including Travelling books which the branch has taken to with enthusiasm and Tactile books for visually impaired children, led by Elizabeth Parker. Our summer party featured great cakes from Angela Rowles and a talk from Stevie Walker. Some of us were able to have a weekend in Westhope with Stevie in September which was a great success. Our workshops have been well attended, a messy and fun day with Art Van Go and Tag making with Angie Hughes both very successful and a very recent gold-work day.
We completed our Tolkein Wall hanging and have again been involved in CoCoMad, the local park festival in July where we had a stall selling kits and finished items and providing a chance for others including children and their parents to join us in stitching. This was fun and also helped to generate funds for the Branch. Some of our branch members have been published or are about to be in Stitch, June Parkinson, Angela Atwood and Tina Francis. We are very proud of them. We have just started working with a group in Washwood Heath with some of our members helping them put together a hanging from elements of work they have been doing together.
We have started a DVD library and are lending out stamps and encouraging members to share equipment with others. The blog continues to thrive and that and email are really useful ways of communicating to each other and to others outside of the branch. http://birminghamembroiderersguild.blogspot.co.uk.
The planning group for the Regional Day (Heather, Meriel, Tina, Margaret, and Clare have been working hard planning for Saturday 18th June 2016 at Portway Lifestyle Centre, Oldbury. Huge thanks to them and soon branch members will have the chance to join in the preparations, making tags for the Goodie Bags. http://westmidsregionalday.weebly.com/ is the website for the Regional Day. Please make sure you have the date in your diary and get working on the competition ‘Within Your Footsteps: within 1000 footsteps of your front door’ and the YE/JETS competition is ‘Garden Details’.
Ruth Dugdale has taken over the leadership of the YE group with the ongoing support of Janet Lee. Ruth will do her own report but on behalf of the committee I would like to thank her and Janet for their ongoing commitment to young people and stitch.
Our monthly meetings continue to be well attended and the raffle led by Lorna and helped by all of you, goes from strength to strength. We are grateful to all of you who volunteer for a range of things including the tea and coffee. I am personally very grateful to all of the committee members and looking forward to working with Janette as well next year. Everyone on the committee makes a real contribution, planning the programme, greeting members and looking after new arrivals, managing our finances and membership, delivering on the blog and making sure we are all kept informed and receive important information from the guild. Clare and Heather also attend the regional committee and do fantastic work on our behalf. What I love best about the committee is that we all like and care about each other and have fun – what more can you want? Clare is also our liaison for the Capability Brown Project happening soon.
We are looking forward to next year with a varied programme and the challenge of the regional day. Please keep coming forward with ideas and suggestions and with new challenges for us all.
Bernadette Wilkinson